Seven Reminders To Keep You Present
Life is one of the greatest gifts and the future can be one of the biggest distractions from our today. Whether we are dreaming or worrying, if we let it, those things can steal from the moment that God has given us right here, right now. And in these now moments are treasure to be discovered. This is where life happens.
Here are seven simple reminders that can pull you into your today.
- God breathed breath into your lungs this morning. This morning, you woke up and God Himself breathed life into you. He saw you, put His hand on you and gave you everything you need in Him to get up and do life today in an incredible way. We are never promised tomorrow, but we are promised today. And today, you're living out His breath.
- Today is a gift. It is a gift of 24 hours. It has been given to you to pull you into this one moment. It is an opportunity to see people, to love well, to use your talents, to make the most of your time. Today is a gift of delight and of wonder.
- There are treasures all around you waiting to be found. Some of the biggest treasures are found when we actually have eyes to see them. To look around you life and ask yourself the questions of, "what am I thankful for? or "what is the goodness in my life?" These questions reveal the treasure in today's moment.
- These moments will never come again. Days don't repeat themselves. They are unique and there is only one. Once they are gone, they are gone forever. Once they are here, they've got to be seized. Rushing your life away through busyness or worry or whatever it is for you, causes you to lose your days. But when you can learn to cherish them and use them and make the most of them, you'll find life-giving moments.
- Your life's a dance, but also a responsibility. One thing I have found is that life is a dance of knowing yourself, knowing people and knowing God. There is so much delight and adventure wrapped into it. But it is also a responsibility. That you've been given this one life -- how will you use it? If your life is made up of days -- how will you use this day?
- Celebration creates more of a thing. The more thankful we are for something and the more we intentionally choose to celebrate it, the more of it we see in our lives. It is like the more we focus on something, the more we either see it or God just gives us more. Look in your present day. What do you want to celebrate? What do you want to be thankful for?
- The world is ready. The world is ready for those who are living in their moments fully alive and present. Not those who are stuck in their phones or their future or their past, but those who are open, vulnerable and here. Because those are the lives that truly make some of the biggest impact.
Your life is to be lived, not survived. Your moments are to be tackled with your presence, not your fears. You are here. You are really here.
About this Family Session
Briar Rose won this family session through my Present Mama movement, a five day challenge I'm running that empowers mothers to connect more with themselves, their families and with God using daily prompts and intentional community. She was intentional about making time for her family, and as so excited for the opportunity to spend time with them outdoors for this family shoot.
As you're about to see, her session was fabulous! Her two sons are incredibly photogenic, and don't even get me started on those images of her and Geoff together! What an adorable couple!
Briar Rose has a wonderful blog that combines all the things that fill her life & her heart to the brim. She LOVES rustic farmhouse style decorating and DIY ideas, home, antiques, motherhood, painting, natural living & how she was saved by grace, reborn with purpose and her journey with Jesus.
"Karen is such a delight to work with. She is the absolute sweetest and the whole family will love her. She makes you feel comfortable and prepared and captures natural and beautiful images of your family interacting with one another. Her images are absolutely breathtaking and she presents them so beautifully. She really makes you feel valued and important. Karen also is very encouraging on her Facebook group with lots of positive thoughts and her #thepresentmama movement. Everyone should experience a photoshoot with Karen. They'll be the best photos your family could ever hope for. Thank you so much, Karen. We are absolutely in love with our images. They will be cherished forever and we feel so blessed that we were able to work with you." - Briar-Rose Schaus